Crispy tofu bowl | Go meatless!
My experience is that when you start eating less meat. You will want to find something to substitute and tofu is a great option for many reasons. Tofu is versatile, there are many dishes you can make that uses tofu as the main ingredient. For example mapo tofu, stuffed tofu, tofu pancakes etc. Or try todays recipe: Crispy tofu bowl. Simple recipe but great for lunch or dinner. Fried tofu, crispy on the outside and soft on the inside.
For the crispy tofu bowl I used carrot, zucchini, quinoa and avocado. The great thing about making bowls is that you can use any ingredient you like. So you can use other veggies or grains.
Tofu is low in calories but high in protein and fat. So a good option to eat tofu now and then instead of meat. It also contains many important vitamins and minerals such as calcium and iron.
Ingredients for 2 bowls
- 1/4 cup uncooked quinoa
- 1 firm pressed tofu
- garlic powder to taste
- pepper to taste
- salt to taste
- Around 3 tablespoon cornstarch
- 1/4 zucchini
- 1 medium carrot
- 1/2 avocado
- Japanese sesame dressing to taste
- small saucepan for quinoa
- frying pan for the zucchini, carrot and tofu
- Remove extra water by putting a plate on top of the tofu and place something heavy on it. After about 20-30 minutes you will see that some of the water has been pushed out.
- Cook the quinoa according to the packaging. Usually the ratio is 1 (quinoa) : 2 (water). So for this recipe its 1/4 cup quinoa and 1/2 cup water. After boiling simmer it for 10 minutes with the lid on.
- Slice the zucchini into very thin rounds.
- Heat some cooking oil in a non-stick frying pan over medium heat. Add the zucchini slices and add some salt. Don’t flip the zucchini until you see that the zucchini turns a bit transparant. Flip to the other side a cook until golden brown. Set aside.
- Cut the carrot into small pieces, julienne style or any style you like. Heat some cooking oil in a non-stick frying pan over medium heat. Stir-fry the carrot for 2 minutes. Set aside.
- Slice the avocado into wedges and set aside.
- Cut the tofu into small cubes and pat dry the tofu cubes with paper towel. Season it with salt, peper and garlic powder. Evenly coat the tofu cubes with cornstarch.
- When the cooking oil is hot, add a few pieces of tofu and fry until crispy on all sides. Repeat this until all tofu cubes are fried.
- All ingredients are cooked now, so time to assemble the bowl. Place the quinoa on the bottom of the bowl and lay the other ingredients on top of it. And finally add dressing to taste. Enjoy!