Chicken konnyaku (Jǔruò: 蒟蒻) noodle soup | Easy and low calorie meal
Konnyaku noodles is well-known for its low carb, low calories, and zero fat and high soluble fiber. In Chinese it is called jǔruò (pinyin) 蒟蒻. Jǔruò is also a common ingredient for Chinese hot pot. Konnyaku noodles or jǔruò has been widely used in Asia. It started not as a diet food, but as people got to know its benefits of low calorie and low carb. Many people use it as a substitute for noodles or other types of carb. So if you have plans for the new year to slim down a bit then this would be a nice diet food – a delicious low cal and carb noodle soup. Top it with your favorite ingredients and you got your delicious bowl of noodle soup!
- Konnyaku noodles (jǔruò: 蒟蒻)
- Dried shiitake
- Spring onion
- Yellow bell pepper
- 1 soft boiled egg
- Shredded chicken (seasoned with little bit of salt en pepper)
- Miso soup (instant*, low salt)
- Soak the shiitakes in water at least a few hours before use. The best is to soak it overnight.
- Cook the chicken in water until cooked. Rinse it with cold water and shred the chicken in small pieces.
- Boil an egg. (Take a look at a previous post of mine for a perfect soft boiled egg)
- Rinse the konnyaku noodles first with water. Use a small pan to cook the konnyaku noodles for a minute or 2 and drain it.
- Use another small pan to cook the miso soup (instant) * and add in the shitake, let it simmer.
- The last step is to put all the ingredients together. First lay a layer of konnyaku noodles on the bottom. Top it with the remaining ingredients and at last pour in the hot miso soup.
*Instant miso soup packages only needs to add hot boiled water, but for this dish we need to cook it a little bit.