Temari Sushi | Turn, fold & twist (sushi balls)
SUSHI – Sushi is like art on a plate and temari sushi is the kawaii (cute) version, if you ask me. Temari sushi is a small ball-like sushi that you can easily make at home. And if you are throwing a little party then I am sure it would impress your guests ;) Not recommended if you don’t have much time to prepare your food, it takes quite a bit of time to make these. Especially if you are planning to use different kind of fish and/or toppings.
- Fresh salmon
- 330 gram sushi rice
- 2 table spoon rice vinegar
- 1 table spoon sugar
- 1 tea spoon salt
- Avocado, cucumber or anything you like
- For serving soy sauce and wasabi (optional)
- Rinse the rice until the water is clear.
- Cook the rice in a rice cooker or pan. For cooking in a pan: add the rice and 375 ml water in a big pan. Bring the water to boil and boil it for 5 minutes, until you see some holes in the rice. Turn down the heat as low as possible and cook it for about 10 minutes or until the rice is soft and the water is gone.
- Add salt, sugar and vinegar into the rice and mix well.
- cover the rice with a cotton cloth and let it cool down. Once the rice is cooled down you can start making the sushi. See below the step by step instructions.
- Cut the salmon into small thin pieces. Cut the avocado and cucumber in the shapes you like. I just cut it into small pieces for placing it on top of the salmon.
Step by Step images for making the ball shape sushi:
Step 1: use plastic foil to make the balls
Step 2: fold and twist, make sure it is tight.
Step 3: plate up! Serve with some soy sauce and wasabi.